Affirmations = losing battle
I’m here this week with a little revelation that’s been landing well with my 1-1 clients of late, and that is why your daily affirmations may not be working as fast or as accurately (or at all…) as you’d like…
As much as I love context, analogy, and long-winded storytelling, this issue is pretty frustrating for people so I’m just going to get to the point: Your subconscious works harder than you.
Your childhood programming is like your ‘default setting’. It’s the autopilot your system runs on 24hrs a day…so if your default settings look anything like this:
– life is hard
– money is scarce
– you have to trade hours for money
– making more money means less time with family
– there’s no space for me
– my needs aren’t important
– something always goes wrong
…then taking a few minutes a day to repeat new beliefs (verbally, mentally or written) is barely going to make a dent.
95% of your day is handled by the subconscious. Therefore, interrupting your autopilot settings (and their associated scripts) will be vastly more effective than regular (but comparatively small) affirmation-interludes.
It’s your 10mins of affirmations, against your subconscious working to your old programming for the other 23hrs and 50mins a day.
No competition. Total knockout.
The subconscious mind is always working to make sure your world conforms to your stories, by deleting, distorting, and generalizing the data you receive from the environment. If you want ‘evidence of your new beliefs’ to show up…you have to commit to the belief FIRST…so that the brain will let the evidence past your filters.
E.g. if you want to see proof that you’re financially safe and supported, you have to believe it first.
Now, some of you might think that’s hard. But it’s not actually hard, it just requires a committed decision and a little determination.
If you’d like more info on this, simply download my free pdf on how to change beliefs from the resources page on my website.
I said above that a better option would be to interrupt your autopilot settings as they happen, so that your subconscious doesn’t have such a massive lead.
1. Recognize your more ‘unpleasant’ emotions as an indicator that you have an out-of-control narrative going on in your head. Ask yourself: ‘What am I making this mean?’ to find the story you’re telling and choose another. Pick something that helps you connect with an emotion that supports you and gets you into alignment with the life you want.
2. Check in with yourself throughout the day. Ask yourself how you’re feeling, and if you need anything. Be a good caretaker and get yourself what you need so that your system learns to trust you. A nervous system working from the idea that ‘I don’t get my needs met’ will always be some level of anxious or upset. Meet the needs = relieve the panic.
3. Keep a note of how you’re meeting your needs and seek to upgrade your methods over time. Small, incremental progress is perfectly fine. An example of an upgrade would be: If you currently deal with work stress by taking yourself to Starbucks for a Super Venti Mocha Choca Vodka Valium Vanilla Frappe with extra whip and four kinds of sprinkles…consider walking a little further to a different cafe so that you get more breathing, moving and sunshine time, and order something a little less inflammatory each day…
4. Consciously take on the idea that your autopilot settings (anger, fear, rejection, sugar…) are a PATTERN, they are not an IDENTITY. What I mean by that is to stop hiding behind identity-statements like ‘I have money issues’, ‘I am scared to leave my job’, ‘I have no luck with men’ and get familiar with the truth, which may be that you’ve decided not to stress about money, because the stress patterns didn’t create more income. You’ve decided to re-examine your old beliefs about jobs being the ‘safe’ option, and you’ve decided to focus on raising your standards for a partner so that you can feel excited about dating again.
5. Get help. A coach is there to see the aspects of your programming that are in your psychological blind spots. Invest in catching them NOW, so that they don’t keep derailing your amazing dreams for the future!
I hope that was helpful, as always, I love to hear what you thought so drop a comment or question anytime.